Appointments to the Federal Courts
25 February 2016
Today I announce six judicial appointments to the federal courts bringing to the Bench a wealth of experience across a wide range of practice areas.
Appointments to Federal Court of Australia
- Mr Robert Bromwich SC will commence in the Sydney registry on 29 February 2016, and
- Ms Natalie Charlesworth will commence in the Adelaide registry on 1 March 2016.
Mr Bromwich and Ms Charlesworth fill the vacancies left by the retirements of the Hon Justice Richard Edmonds and the Hon Justice John Mansfield AM.
Appointments to Family Court of Australia
- Ms Catherine Carew QC will commence in the Brisbane registry on 7 March 2015 2016, and
- Mr Richard O’Brien will commence in Perth on 8 March 2016.
Ms Carew and Mr O’Brien fill the vacancies left by the retirements of the Hon Graham Bell and the Hon Justice Jane Crisford.
Mr O’Brien will also commence as a judge of the Family Court of Western Australia on 7 March 2016. It has been established practice since 1987 for judges of the Family Court of Western Australia to hold dual commissions as judges of the Family Court of Australia.
Appointments to Federal Circuit Court of Australia
- Ms Elizabeth Boyle will commence in the Sydney registry on 29 February 2016, and
- Ms Jillian Williams will commence in the Melbourne registry on 29 February 2016.
Ms Boyle and Ms Williams fill the vacancies left by the retirements of Judge Denys Simpson and Judge Daniel O’Dwyer.
On behalf of the Government, I congratulate the six new federal judges and thank them for their willingness to serve the people of Australia. I also thank the retiring judges for their distinguished service, and wish them well for the future.
Biographies for the appointees are below: